Documenting Hardship
Lange Riis Gallery Other Artists Sitemap

Documenting Hardship > Dorothea Lange > Biography

Dorothea Lange: Biography

Dorothea contracted Polio at the age of 7. She was one of a rare few cases in her area, and doctors were lost in trying to help her. It disease was mostly confined to her right leg, although it did considerable damage. She was constantly limping because she couldn't flex her foot and pick her toes off of the ground. She wore a shoe that was half a size smaller than her left because of the lasting effects of the disease.

The damage done by the disease wasn't all physical - it left permanent scars that shaped her personality throughout life. When she was a young child, other children would tease her with names such as "Limpy", but Dorothea learned to ignore those

Dorothea took pictures that reflected her own experiences.

Walking Wounded, 1954
immature remarks as she grew older. The real lasting impressions on her were from her mother. When Dorothea was young, her mother would tell her to try to walk normally. Dorothea became angry with her mother, because she was constantly concerned with others thought of them. Instead of accepting the effects of the disease and coming to terms with them, Dorothea's mother always wanted to hide and appear normal to the outisde world.

Her mother was never supportive of what Dorothea was doing until someone else gave her praise for her actions. At a young age, she was smart enough to realize that her mother was overly concerned with the opinion of others, and it bothered Dorothea. She resented those people who were overly concerned with appearances, instead of the character within. Dorothea was very outspoken about the powerful ways Polio and her physical disabilities affected her.
"No one who hasn't lived the life of a semi-cripple knows how much that means. I think it was perhaps the most important thing that happened to me. [It] formed me, guided me, instructed me, helped me, and humiliated me. All those things at once. I've never gotten over it and I am aware of the force and power of it."
Dorothea felt that her disability helped her, however, to document situations through photography. Others felt sorry for her, and were more willing to let her take pictures of them, instead of someone who had no disabilities. She felt that others felt more comfortable around her, and she was able to relate to her subjects on a more personal level. Apart from taking pictures, she was more in tune with the problems others were enduring and wanted to help in any way she could. She was able to use her experiences to harness the problems of others and work to improve their situation.

Home | Lange | Riis | Gallery | Other Artists | Sitemap
Copyright © 2003 Dan Wolchonok